The world, as we perceive it, is our own invention. -Heinz von Foerster

Monday, July 24, 2006

Direction or Nationality! Which comes first?

Hi, my name is Krishnan. I like if people call me Krishnan, my joy is unbounded if somebody calls me Mr. Krishnan. Needless to say it’s my title & I, my parents, my siblings everybody loves to be called so.

“My dear Indian….”. Didn’t you felt prestigious now? Outsiders call us as Indians & yes that’s how we want to be called as, but inside our country we call us by directions first and then by nationality. Yesterday I asked my friend, “Who are you? a person from North or a person from India?” Without any hesitation he replied “Obviously, I’m from India”. “Then why do people call you by your direction first & then by your nationality?”. Should we continue segregating people as “North Indian” & “South Indian”? Is it creating separation among the son of the same soil?

Yes there is a need for subsets and so we have several state & union territories. Its purpose is to name & not to separate. It should intimate the place or direction but should not create a separation. Will it be better if we change the direction phenomena by calling people as “Indian from North” & “Indian from South”?

1 comment:

Ankit said...

Interesting thought. Nice to see that somebody reads my blog entries. Thanks.